Blog Post #2 - Cultural Markers

From my previous post, you will know that I have lived in many different places around the world, and due to this I have experienced different cultures and religions. Having experienced many different religions and going to a catholic school, I have chosen to be an Atheist, which is defined as "a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods."


As I am atheist, I do not believe in any gods nor do I deny that gods are real; but personally I don’t believe there is a God, while I accept that there may be a god for others. When I think about what is important to me, I think of equality, neutral thoughts and being non-biased towards a specific religion, etc.

One cultural marker that is important to atheists is that there is no heaven or hell. Because of this, there is a misconception that they have no motivation to be virtuous. This statement is very offensive to atheists, as many people have a strong sense of conscience and want to be upright just for the sake of it. The fear of hell should not be a person’s only motive to do the right thing, nor should they be good simply because they want to be rewarded at the end with heaven. People should have a set of moral values and the desire to not harm people and to just help them without seeking reward.


Communicating the cultural marker of not believing in heaven and hell is important because it may show religious people that the bribery and punishment that are heaven and hell is like teaching a child that if they don’t behave they will go on Santa’s naughty list. This may tell them that humans don’t have to follow a specific religion just to behave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 - About Me

Blog Post #13 - Speaking in Tongues Blog Post

Blog Post #31 - TATD - Said Passage Analysis