Blog Post #3 - About my Name


My name is Alyxander Cynan Bihuniak, but people often call me Alyx. The first thing you should know if you are considering Alyx for your baby's name is that in most countries all over the world the name Alyx is a girl name. The name Alyx is originally from Greece, and is often used in English speaking countries. The meaning behind Alyx is “Defending men or Protector of Mankind.” The name Alyx has been used and recorded since 1880, both for boys and girls. Between 2001 and 2004 was the most popular time for the name Alyx, as it was used 10 times to name boys, and for girls the name Alyx was mostly used in 1993, when it was used 78 times that year.



Although Alyx is a feminine form of Alexander, with a slight letter change as this is what I mother wanted. In the past many member of royalty has been given the name Alexandra. Within Greek mythology, Alexandra was the name of the goddess Hera. The name was popularized by Alexander the Great.

Originally, when I was born I was given the name “Alexander Cynan Bihuniak” but I have always been known as “Alyx,” as this is what was meant to be on my birth certificate. On the 9th July 2016, the legal paperwork arrived in Abu Dhabi at my parents’ house for me to legally change my name from “Alexander Cynan Bihuniak” to “Alyxander Cynan Bihuniak,” now making my name legally with a “y.” as well as having just changed my name on papers, I have just recently received my new passport with the new spelling of my name, allowing me to now go ahead with changing my emirates ID and my UAE residency visa.

When it comes to my name, there isn't any cultural or personal significance, but I have found it interesting to know where my last name originated from especially as my dad’s father was from Ukraine and my last name is from Greece


Work Cited Page
"Name Alyx - Meaning, Origin Etc. - Girl Names - Baby Name Alyx." The Name Meaning. N.p., 2014. Web. 19 Sept. 2016. http://www.thenamemeaning.com/alyx/#ixzz4KhgJDuiQ

"Bihuniak Surname Meaning & Statistics." Bihuniak Surname Meaning, Origins & Distribution. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Sept. 2016. http://forebears.io/surnames/bihuniak

Comments

  1. Nice work! It is interesting to know that your parents have decided to choose your name as 'Alyx' instead of 'Alex' even though the name was common among girls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 - About Me

Blog Post #13 - Speaking in Tongues Blog Post

Blog Post #31 - TATD - Said Passage Analysis