Blog Post #19 - Annotated Act 5 Scene 2 Lines 64 - 100

Act 5 Scene 2 Lines 64 - 100 → Menenius Falls

CORIOLANUS: What’s the matter?                                                                                   1
MENENIUS: Now, you companion, I’ll say an errand for
you. You shall know now that I am in estimation[1] ; you
shall perceive that a Jack guardant cannot office me[2] 
from my son[3]  Coriolanus. Guess, but by my                                                                             5
entertainment with him, if thou standest not i’ the
state of hanging, or of some death more long in
spectatorship, and crueller in suffering; behold now
presently, and swoon for what’s to come upon thee.
[To CORIOLANUS]
The glorious gods sit in hourly synod[4]  about thy                                                                     10
particular prosperity, and love thee no worse than
thy old father Menenius[5]  does! O my son, my son!
thou art preparing fire for us. Look thee, here’s
water to quench it. I was hardly moved to come to
thee; but being assured none but myself could move                                                              15
thee, I have been blown out of your gates with
sighs, and conjure thee to pardon Rome, and thy
petitionary countrymen. The good gods assuage thy
wrath, and turn the dregs of it upon this varlet
here, —this, who, like a block, hath denied my                                                                      20
access to thee.
CORIOLANUS: Away!
MENENIUS How! away!
CORIOLANUS: Wife, mother, child,
I know not. My affairs                                                                                                              25
Are servanted to others. Though I owe
My revenge properly, my remission lies
In Volscian breasts. That we have been familiar,
Ingrate forgetfulness shall poison, rather
Than pity note how much. Therefore, be gone.                                                                       30
Mine ears against your suits[6]  are stronger than
Your gates against my force. Yet, for I loved thee,
Take this along; I writ it for thy sake
[Gives a letter]
And would have rent it. Another word, Menenius,






[1] held in esteem Esteem is all about respect and admiration. If you have high self-esteem, it means you like yourself. When you say, "My esteemed colleagues," you are saying you have nothing but the highest respect for them. ... When you say you hold someone in high esteem, it means you give them a high value.


[2] jack cannot drive me by virtue using his power


[3] Menenius feels superior of Coriolanus, he wants to protect him


[4] the glorious gods come together/assemble hourly


[5] this shows a sign of respect... as they are calling him an elder and most people wouldn't hurt/do anything to an elder person and the fact they call him "father" they respect him


[6] I hear all about your petitions against  me... and he follows on by saying my ears are stronger than you


[7] he will not listen to anyone who want to talk to him


[8] saying he once loved rome, but no more


[9] stating that coriolanus has a constant temper, which could refer to the fact that he want to fight against him home town in order to gain power


UNABLE TO UPLOAD COMMENTARY TO YOUTUBE AND BLOGGER



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1 - About Me

Blog Post #13 - Speaking in Tongues Blog Post

Blog Post #31 - TATD - Said Passage Analysis